Kalops is yet another dish as common as Swedish Meatballs.
Choose a cut of beef such as bottom round steak, sirloin tip steak, rump beef, or roast beef
"Grillkrydda" is a seasoning that may be hard to find even at Scandinavian stores in the Pacific Northwest. In that case you can make your own. It will turn out similar to the "real" Grillkrydda.
- 500-600 grams fresh boneless beef meat
- 1 large onion
- 250-300 grams carrots
- Grillkrydda, a Swedish seasoning, to taste
- 2-3 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. potato flour
- 100-200 ml water for the potato flour
- 500 ml water
- 300 ml whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp.,or as needed, brown soybased sauce color.
- 5 bay leaves
- finely chopped parsley to sprinkle on top
- boiled potatoes
- lingonberry jam, pickled beets, or pickled cucumber on the side.
Ingredients Swede Menu's Substitute Grillkrydda
- 1-3 tbsp. sea salt
- 1 tbsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tbsp. celery seeds
- 1 tbsp. tomato powder
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- Cut meat into about 3cm thick cubes.
- Coarsely chop onion into large pieces.
Cut carrots into large pieces.
Season the meat all around with "Grillkrydda".
- Brown meat in butter in cast iron dutch oven.
Mix potato starch with a little water and set aside.
- Remove the meat from the pot.
Pour 500 ml of water into pot, whisk and let it boil.
- Add potato flour mix while whisking. Let it boil while whisking until it becomes thick enough.
- Add the cream and whisk.
- Add some browning while whisking when the sauce is thick enough.
- Add meat and oinions
- Add half the carrots and bay leaves.
- Let it simmer gently on low heat with the lid on for about one hour while stiring now and then.
- Add remaining carrots. Taste the sauce and add additional seasoning if needed.
- Let it simmer for about half hour while giving it a stir now and then.
- Add additional seasoning if needed and taste again after a while.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve the dish with boiled potaoes and pickled beets, pickled cucumber, or lingonberry jam on the side.
This dish is nicely paired with a glass of robust porter or a glass of milk.
Add additional vegetables at the same time you add meat, oinions, half the carrots and bay leaves. Cut the white part of one leek into thin slices, and cut red and green bellpepper into small pieces. It cannot be called Kalops anymore but it will be as tasty.