- 1 kilogram (1000 grams, about 2.2 lbs.) orange peels
- 1 kilogram (1000 grams) granulated sugar
- 750 ml broth from boiling the peels
- 1 tsp. citric acid
- 250 grams orange peels (about 4 oranges)
- 250 grams granulated sugar (250-275 ml)
- 185 ml broth from boiling the peels
- ¼ tsp. citric acid
- Clean the oranges.
- If you have saved orange peels and dried them, soak them in water for 24 hours and then remove them from water.
- Soak orange peels and boil them in fresh water until they are soft, about 45-60 minutes.
- Remove the peel, rinse under cold water and let the water run off.
- Cut away the white pith of the peel and discard.
- Slice the peels into long, thin strips or, cut them into small squares, depending on what you will use the peels for.
- Measure broth according to recipe. Combine sugar and citric acid and add it to the measured broth and cook it until sugar is dissolved and the broth is syrupy.
- Add peel and let simmer on low heat until they are ready.
- Skim foam off the surface.
- Pour peel and broth in sanitized cans.
- Store the cans in cool dark place.
Ambrosia Cake Recipe >>
Dark Rye Bread with Honey and Candied Orange Peel Recipe >>