If you can't get a hold of lingonberry jam to serve with those Swedish meatballs but still want to keep it Swedish, serve them with Salted Pickled Cucumber or Pickled Pressed Cucumber.
- 1 English cucumber
- 1 bundle parsley
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 10 ml white pepper
- 3 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 100 ml vinegar 12%
- 400 ml water
If you use 5% vinegar, use 275 ml vinegar and 225 ml water.
- Wash cucumber carefully, or peal it.
- Thinly slice cucumber (easy and fast with a Scandinavian cheese slicer).
- Place cucumber and cut parsley in layers in glass jars.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, cold water, salt and white pepper. Stir until sugar and spices are dissolved.
- Pour the mixture over the cucumber in the jars.
- Cover and place in refrigerator for 24 hours before tasting.
Taste great after three weeks in refrigerator.
Serve with meat dishes such as Swedish Meatballs, Sailor's Beef, and Kalops.