The Crumble Pie, "Smulpaj", at its' best when served with vanilla sauce. If you ever had Authentic Vanilla Sauce with this pie, you know it is is worth the extra effort.
Choose your favorite berry, fruit or rhubarb; raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, gooseberries, strawberries, apples or peaches into slices, rhubarb chopped into 3cm pieces. Or, make your own mixture. If you mix raspberries with blueberries and you get Queen's Mixture, an old common blend, especially in jam (Hemmets Kokbok published in 1903).
- 500 ml (300 grams) flour
- 100 ml granulated sugar
- 250 grams butter
- 100-200 ml chopped or slivered almonds
- 1.5-2 liters (~6.3-8.5 cups) filling
- 2-3 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. potato flour
Ingredients Authentic Vanilla Sauce
- 400 ml half and half
- 2 vanilla beans
- 2/3 ml salt
- 4 tbsp. sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 300 ml heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 200° Celsius.
- Mix flour and sugar to the dough in a bowl.
- Add the butter cut into pieces, and disperse the butter with your fingertips, a fork, or a knife, into a grainy mass/crumble.
- Work half the dough into a ball and press it out into the pie dish.
- Sprinkle with half of the almonds and press them into the dough mixture.
- Mix sugar and potato flour.
- Fill the pie dish with the filling and sprinkle the potato flour-sugar mixture over it.
- Add the other half of the almonds to the crumbled mass in the bowl.
- Spread the crumble over the filling.
- Bake in middle of oven until the filling has softened and the surface is nicely golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Serve the pie after cooling off, but warm with cold vanilla sauce.
For very jucy fillings, such as raspberry and bluberries, place the pie dish in oven on upper shelf for 5-10 minutes until lightly brown before adding the filling.
For less tartness, sprinkle littlle more sugar on filling before spreading the crumbled dough over the filling.
Directions Authentic Vanilla Sauce
Do not use whisk made of stainless steel in a pan made of aluminum. It could discolor the sauce
- Pour the coffee cream in a saucepan.
- Cut a slit along each whole vanilla bean.
- Put them down in the cream and cook over low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Take the saucepan off the heat and remove the vanilla beans but let the black dots/seeds remain in the cream (evidence of authentic vanilla sauce).
- Add salt, sugar, and egg yolks.
- Simmer the mixture on low heat, whisking continuously until it thickens. Do not let it boil. It will separate if it boils.
- Stir the sauce until most of the heat has disappeared.
- Let it cool.
- Whip the cream and and add it to the vanilla mixture.
Vanilla Sugar Sauce
An alternative to the Authentic Vanilla Sauce is Vanilla Sugar Sauce. It usually contains powder sugar, potato flour, vanilla bean seeds, and vanilla flavor.
Ingredients Vanilla Sugar Sauce
- 2 tbs vanilla sugar or to taste
- 8 tbs powdered sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 500 ml heavy cream
Directions Vanilla Sugar Sauce
- Whip vanilla sugar, powered sugar, and egg yolks until fluffy.
- Add heavy cream and whip until creamy.
Whip the left over egg whites and add sugar to make meringue